This is the list of the books I plan to read in 2018. I’ll cross out the ones I’ll get to within the year…
- Monday Starts on Saturday – Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
Lincoln in the Bardo – George Saunders2/11/18 (****)
- Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
- Possession – A.S. Byatt (I tried reading this years ago, but never got around to finishing it.)
- Death on the Nile – Agatha Christie
- The Murder of Roger Ackroyd – Agatha Christie
- The Meaning of Night – Michael Cox (I started this book last year, but got distracted and never got back to it).
- The Familiar #1 – Mark Z. Danielewski
- The Quiet Ones – Glenn Diaz (started this last December, 2017…not as compelling as I’d hoped, but I’ll try to finish it anyway).
- A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens (this is a novel I’ve been trying to read since high school…)
- Great Expectations – Charles Dickens (I have not read a single novel by Charles Dickens…I know….I know…)
- All the Light We Cannot See – Anthony Doerr
- The Name of the Rose – Umberto Eco (Another novel I’ve been reading for the past 10+ years…)
- Silence – Shusaku Endo
- The French Lieutenant’s Woman – John Fowles (I tried reading this in 2017…failed to finish it).
- East of Eden – John Steinbeck
- The Charterhouse of Parma – Stendhal
- Confessions of Zeno – Italo Svevo
- The Makioka Sisters – Junichiro Tanizaki
- Beren and Luthien – J.R.R. Tolkien (this is the new edition released in 2017).
nnihilation (Southern Reach Trilogy #1) – Jeff VanderMeer4-3-18 (****) Authority (Southern Reach Trilogy #2) – Jeff VanderMeer4-18-18 (**.5) Acceptance (Southern Reach Trilogy #3) – Jeff VanderMeer5-21-18 (***)
- The Castle of Otranto – Horace Walpole
- Satanic Verses – Salman Rushdie (A book I started more than 10 years ago…I’d have to read it again from the start).
- The Essex Serpent – Sarah Perry
- The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials #1) – Philip Pullman (I’ve actually read this first book, but never got around to finishing the series. I might re-read this again to refresh my memories. I’m reading His Dark Materials in preparation of La Belle Sauvage: The Book of Dust).
- The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials #2) – Philip Pullman
- The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials #3) – Philip Pullman
- The Book of Dust – Philip Pullman
- The Mysteries of Udolpho – Ann Radcliffe
- All the Names – Jose Saramago
- Baltasar and Blimunda – Jose Saramago
- The Thirteenth Tale – Diane Setterfield
- White Teeth – Zadie Smith
- A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich – Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
- The Princess Bride – William Goldman
- Hunger or Mysteries – Knut Hamsun
A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy #1) – Deborah Harkness1/4/18 (*)
- Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2) – Deborah Harkness
- Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy #3) – Deborah Harkness
- The Buried Giant – Kazuo Ishiguro
- A Pale View of Hills – Kazuo Ishiguro
- Salvation of a Saint – Keigo Higashino
- Malice – Keigo Higashino
- A Thousand Cranes – Yasunari Kawabata
- Le Liasons Dangereuses – Pierre Choderlos de Laclos
- The Three-Body Problem – Liu Cixin
- Death in the Andes – Mario Vargas Llosa
- Infatuations – Javier Marias (started this in 2017…)
- Nutshell – Ian McEwan
- Enduring Love – Ian McEwan
- Boy, Snow, Bird – Helen Oyeyemi
- A Strangeness in my Mind – Orhan Pamuk (another novel I started in 2017…a rather long read.)
Dear Mr. M – Herman Koch1-22-18 (***)
- An Unkindness of Magicians – Kat Howard
- The Ministry of Utmost Happiness – Arundhati Roy
- The Moonstone – Wilkie Collins
- SPQR – Mary Beard (the only non-fiction on this list)
Down and Out in Paris and London – George Orwell (non-fiction)1-8-18 (***) The Portrait of a Murderer – Anne Meredith1-12-18 (**)
he Magpie Murders – Anthony Horowitz3-28-18 (***)
So, what do you guys think? A lot of these have been on my tbr list for years…hopefully 2018 is the year they finally get crossed out!
Good luck to me…I’m gonna need it!